Friday, January 19, 2007

Odds and Ends II

Not half as much this week for a very simple reason: I'm cutting back significantly on my blog reading. After a long talk with my parents, we determined that I am spending too much time reading blogs (I'm subscribed to 70 in my RSS feeder, of which probably 50 update at least once a week). Thus, from this point on I am only going to be reading the following blogs (my favorites, and the ones I would suggest for you too):

  • 10:31--The best youth ministry and the best youth pastor in the world
  • Al Mohler--Great current events analysis...when he's healthy (updates have been scarce the past few weeks, but give him time and he'll be back; keep praying for his health)
  • Tim Challies--Great theological articles and book reviews from the "#1 Christian Blogger"
  • Between Two Worlds--The domain of Justin Taylor, provides links to articles and books of interest to Christians engaging their culture
  • Pyromaniacs--The domain of Phil Johnson, Dan Phillips, and Frank Turk (i.e. Centuri0n), full of amazing, long articles on theological issues
  • Biblical Christianity--The other domain of Dan Phillips, with more Pyro-type articles
  • Centuri0n--The other domain of Frank Turk, with even more, longer Pyro-type articles every day
  • Funny Class Notes--My favorite satire blog, always something funny every day
  • Pulpit--Just started with this one, but as you can see by my last post, they have caught my attention, so I shall be a faithful reader at least until the spiritual gifts series is over
  • New Attitude--Well, if I'm going, I should be reading its blog, right? Plus, you never know when they'll be handing out something free

So the other 60 blogs on my blogroll will just have to be ignored for the next month at least, and possibly to the end of the school year.

Now, that's most of this week's Odds and Ends, but I did run across a few good articles that I'll leave for you guys to chew on.

Serious

  • Challies examines the state of abortion and genetic screening in our countries, and makes some fabulous points, bringing another great biblical voice to the topic.
  • Centuri0n discusses the apparent dichotomy between God's offer of salvation and his election of sinners.
  • How well do you know the words of Jesus? Take these quizzes and post your answers in the comments (My scores: Beginner: 9/10; Intermediate 8/10; Advanced 3/10).

Other

  • This is specifically for all you other debate gurus out there, especially the NCFCA ones: how to define the terms of this year's resolution.

Quotes

  • As you can tell, I've been doing a lot of reading of Old Testament Commentaries, and it's really exciting when you can see how the whole Bible fits into one whole! Here's a quote I ran into in An Introduction to the Old Testament by Raymond Dillard and Tremper Longman (assigned reading for the Pastor's College class I'm taking next week):

    What a collection of human beings in the book of Judges! Strange heroes they are--a reluctant farmer, a prophetess, a left-handed assassin, a bastard bandit, a sex-addicted Nazirite, and others. It is easy at a distance to point out the foibles and failures of the leading characters in this downwardly spiraling story. But...for all of their flaws, we are to learn from their faith. For it was in faith that Gideon, Barak, Jephthah, and Samson "conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised" (Heb. 11:32-33).

    I find it pretty amazing that people like Samson and Barak made it into the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews. When I read about them, I don't see men full of faith, but men full of fear, doubt, and sin. But then I'm reminded that that's exactly what I am! And God can still use me in spite of it! What a wonderful truth.

No comments: